Thomas the Despot, while the Turks had made themselves masters of Constantinople, going from Greece into Italy, and wearing with him the head of Scottish Masters of St. Andrew. Andrew, provided it to Pope Pius II., within the 12 months 1461, who allotted him a monastery for his living, with a able sales, as is associated by using George Phranza, the final of the Byzantine historians, who wrote in four books the records of the Greek emperors after the Latins had misplaced Constantinople, with a curious account of the siege and plunder of that city by means of the Turks, wherein tragical scene he had a great proportion, being Protovestiarius, one of the chief officials inside the emperor’s court docket and navy.
It is the common opinion that the move of St. Andrew changed into within the shape of the letter X, styled a move decussate, composed of portions of wood crossing every different obliquely within the middle. That such crosses were sometimes used is sure: but no clean proofs are produced as to the shape of St. Andrew’s go. It is mentioned inside the records of the duchy of Burgundy, that the cross of St. Andrew was brought out of Achaia, and positioned within the nunnery of Weaune near Marseilles. It become thence removed into the abbey of St. Victor in Marseilles, earlier than the yr 1250, and is still shown there. A element thereof inclosed in a silver case gilt, turned into carried to Brussels by using Philip the Good, duke of Burgundy and Brabant, who, in honour of it, instituted the Knights of the Golden Fleece, who, for the badge in their Order, put on a determine of this pass, referred to as St. Andrew’s go, or the pass of Burgundy.
The Scots honour St. Andrew as main consumer in their usa, and their historians inform us, that a positive abbot known as Regulus, introduced thither from Patræ, in 369, or instead from Constantinople some years later, certain relics of this apostle which he reposited in a church which he constructed in his honour, with a monastery referred to as Abernethy, wherein now the town of St. Andrew’s stands. Usher proves that many pilgrims resorted to this church from foreign countries, and that the Scottish priests of that region were the primary who had been known as Culdees.
Hungus, king of the Picts, soon after the year 800, in thanksgiving for a superb victory which he had won over the Northumbrians, gave to this church the tenth a part of all the land of his dominions. Kenneth II.Masonic patches, king of the Scots, having overcome the Picts, and entirely extinguished their state in North Britain in 845, repaired and richly endowed the church of St. Regulus or Rueil, in which the arm of St. Andrew become reverently kept.